Janalyn Voigt, Author of Novel Books, continues the series on Platform Building.
In the same way, giving yourself rewards makes all your hard work seem worthwhile. Rewarding yourself for achieving a goal can even motivate you to accomplish it in the first place. But, use caution and discipline.
Remember, frosting should be eaten in moderation. Too much of a good thing just makes you sick. A good rule of thumb is to balance the amount of “frosting” against the amount of “cake.” A bigger bite of cake needs a little more frosting than a smaller one does. First decide when you will reward yourself, and then decide how. Here’s a list of ways to build rewards into your schedule.
- Play a few of those online games you’ve been avoiding.
- Allow yourself some forum time.
- Go for a walk or hike.
- Take an overnight trip and enjoy a meditative retreat.
- Eat chocolate.
- Indulge in a phone call to a friend or family member.
- Give yourself the day off.
- Read a book.
- Listen to music, either at home or by attending a concert of some kind.
- Visit the ocean in winter.
- Whale watch.
- Give a back rub to someone you love and receive one in return.
- Go to a writer’s conference.
- Watch a movie.
- Watch a favorite television show.
- Take up drawing, painting or other forms of artistic expression.
- Buy yourself a new outfit.
- Go to the gym.
- Go to a spa.
- Rearrange your office.
- Make cookies.
- Spend all afternoon playing with your child(ren).
- Take your spouse on a date.
- Write in a journal.
- Visit a friend or family member.
Take a look at your goals and decide when you will reward yourself. Then, brainstorm some rewards. I suggest writing them down if you think you’ll forget to do them.
Do you have your goals set but you still aren’t sure how to apply them to your everyday life? Next time we’ll discuss how to distill it all down to give you traction every day.
Meanwhile, do you have suggestions for rewards I didn’t mention?
Janalyn Voigt writes novel books.
DAWNSINGER, book one of her TALES OF FAERAVEN trilogy, will release with Port Yonder press. Her publication credits include Focus on the Family, Scripture Press and Pentecostal Evangel. Janalyn is affiliated with ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) and has been a NCWA member since 2008. Visit her website at http://janalynvoigt.com/